Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother, Mom, Momma.....

It's Mother's Day, 5:50 a.m. The sun is just peeking at me on what seems to be a glorious day in the making. I caught a glimpse of a photo of my mom as I walked by the side table and realized just how much I miss this woman. There's not one particular memory that stands out, but several 'snapshots' buzzing through my mind this morning. She was not a perfect mother, nor was she a demonstrative type, but she was a special momma. Here's what is flashing through my mind's eye this morning:

Making sure we were sent to Sunday School every Sunday even if her and dad never went. This meant Saturday night baths and the sitting still in what seemed like forever, so she could twirl my hair around on her finger and fasten with a bobbi pin. Not just a few, but over the entire head! Yes, her children would always be presentable in church!

The apron. Growing up I cannot remember her without one on during the day. I think she got this from grandma who one day even forgot to take hers off when she went to church! Those pockets held untold oddities that she would pick up around the house and deposit in the correct place....things I'm sure us kids left lying about. It wiped up spills, kept her hands clean, protected her dress and gave me comfort. This multipurposed item represented the stay at home mom that she was during my formitive years. I have a few aprons even today.

The 'wait until your dad gets home' voice! Mom was a good 'yeller' but seldom carried through with her discipline. She left the dispensing of that to my Father. So if that was ever heard, it brought the fear of God to me....thank heaven I was a pretty 'perfect' child! Ya right!

Her laugh. Full bodied, light hearted, fun, accompanied by the ever present 'oh my stars alivin'' statement afterward. I always loved to hear her laugh. You see, even as a young child, I knew we were poor and that mom didn't have as much as my friends mom's did, so when I heard her laugh, it made me happy. Through the years, she never lost that laugh, that squinted twinkle in her eyes....thanks mom, for your laugh, I smile even now remembering it.

Her sewing talents. Oh my, this woman loved to sew! My sis and I were often seen in the same style dresses sewn with hands of love. Her, handsewn square dance dresses were beyond beautiful....they were works of art and people would often buy them when she was tired of the dress and moved on to making another. She gave me my love of sewing, a legacy that I still employ today

Her cooking. Now mind you, she was no gourmet cook, but momma could look in the fridge, pull out leftovers, put a pot on to boil and make the best soup or casserole in the land! She made dinners special with whatever there was too eat and made sure we were always gathered around the table. It had to be a real good reason if we were not home for supper! Every supper ended with dessert! Yes, momma could bake,...rarely were there store bought goodies for this family! Oh yes, I still have to have a small piece of sweet after I eat....another legacy! :)

Her gifts. Mom never forgot a birthday. With five children it was hard to provide, but darn if she didn't come up with a gift sweetly wrapped and full of expectation for us. Sometimes it was something we really needed, other times just a small fun gift. No matter, it always was accompanied by a birthday cake and lots of singing! As the years went by, she never forgot, and there in the mail would be her little offering of love. Sometimes as adults we would laugh at her attempts...I so regret that now. I realize now they were always given out of genuine caring....I am sorry momma...I love you!

I imagine I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Mother was not without her faults as none of us mom's are. I'm painfully aware of that today with my own children. But I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, that looking back I can enjoy the feelings of her love, warmth, giving and caring ways and hope that somehow she knows how much I loved her and still do. She passed down such a legacy to me that even now I stop to ask, "I wonder what mom would do." Isn't that the ultimate gift? Thank you mom, for giving me a life full of wonderment, of direction, of example. You were loved then and you are loved now. Until we meet again at the foot of the cross....I love you Momma, happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. This is precious, Claudia. I loved reading every word. CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have a google account I can comment on your blog!!
    Yeah!!
    As I read this beautiful commentary and testiment about Mim.. My mind flashed and went away to the place and time as a child..
    Though she was not a demonstrative Mother or one that Sao the words " I Love You".. Still her actions and words spike her heart ..
    I so muss get laugh and smiling twinkling eyes.. They were the window of her soul ..I believe it so!!
    So, again, Claudia.. How I so much appreciate taking me back, helping me remember her genuine kindness and her giving heart.. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops.. Mom!! not Mim.. And a few other typos!!
    Love you Sus.. Oops / " SIS"..
    :-)
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete