Monday, February 21, 2011

Israel...2011...My Trip

I went to Israel to walk where Jesus walked, I came home with the knowledge of God's promises to His Jewish people, their historical struggles, their coming home again to the land that God gave them. This tiny little speck of a nation, wanted by so many, misunderstood by those who do not believe in God's Word, is cherished by the Almighty and Israel will triumph! They have been scattered (dispersed) throughout the nations as other nations took hold of their land, but God promised the people's of Israel that they would regain the land once again and for all time. Isaiah 11:12 says "He will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth." Isaiah 49:25 says "for I will contend with him who contend with you (Israel). And finally Isaiah 54: 10 & 17 "no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper." An observation based on Acts 17:26 states: God has determined the location for all nations beginning with Israel. If Israel is not rightly placed, other nations are out of order and there is disorder in the world. There will be no real peace in the world until the world is reconciled to Israel and Israel is properly reconciled both to its land and to God who gave them the land. In other words, whoever opposes or curses Israel or the Jewish people, regardless of the justification, God will oppose or curse, and whoever blesses Israel, God will bless. With all the opposing thoughts concerning the Palestinians vs. the Israelites, I came away with this answer: Rest easy Israel, God keeps His promises!
Having said all that I simply want to say "my brain over floweth with information. Sights, sounds, tastes, different cultures, landscapes, ruins, and so much more! I'm still having trouble processing everything! Our fantastic tour guide Jacob, who has been doing this for over 40 years, took our hands and led us through the most amazing places, both in words and actual experiences. He enabled us to go into places where the average tourist is not allowed....The West Bank,; Samaria, Judea, Bethlehem...bullet proof buses gave us a sense of protection, but the actual realization of why this was needed sent shivers through my body. It was always good to return to our 'regular' bus without the need of all that. While in the West Bank city of Ariel, we were privileged to be invited into private homes to discuss and ask any questions we might have....what an experience! The average tourist would never be able to do this...how blessed was I!!!

Our days were filled with luscious adventures! Rolling quietly along in our luxurious bus, we viewed Caesarea/Mt Carmel/Tiberias. We stopped at Makrakha where Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal....viewed the Valley of Armageddon...where the final battle will take place, and then stopped at The Sea of Galilee. While placing my feet into it's chilly waters, I realized Jesus actually walked on these waters. So much of Jesus earthly ministries were right here around the Galilee...and here stood I. On a ride in a large boat through the silent waters, one could almost see our Lord walking toward our boat....the mind can imagine so many things!

Our visits to synagogues, ancient homes, ruins, began to run in to each other. Thank heaven I kept a journal! Hopefully I can match the pictures to the words! We gathered in a private area at the Mt. of Beatitudes and read the scripture; we placed our hands in the Jordan River, visited Capernaum, the home of Peter, listened with awe to the history Jacob relayed to us...'and on the right, and on the left'...one would be in Israel for months and months to take it all in! He wanted so badly for us to see all of 'his Israel.' He left us hungering for more!
What can I say about our trip to the Golan Heights? The rugged terrain makes it hard to believe battles were waged there, not only in our time, but in ancient times. We viewed the fortress where 9,000 people jumped over the walls rather than be taken hostage to their enemies! The Syrian fortresses are still there from the fairly recent war, and we walked about the bunkers, peered over the hillside to the Syrian landscape, taking note of the borders of Jordan and Lebanon also in view. Israel still fights to maintain it's precious borders, and I might add with a mighty military force. We observe their fighter jets making their constant flights over the borders to protect their ancient land.

Off to the Dead Sea! But first we make a long stop at a recently excavated site of a Roman City and the site where King Saul died. Imagine it! Another place where the Transfiguration took place, and the road to Damascus, the route of Saul of Tarsus(Paul)..does it never end? Places for heathen idol worship, places from obscure verses in the Bible, places I cannot remember nor fit into the tiny corners of my mind, but will stay in my heart forever! I wondered why the Dead Sea was an important part of our journey. It wasn't until I ventured into the water, sat down and bobbed around like a rubber duck, that it struck me. It took an element of trust to sit down in that water and yet when I did I was held up....isn't that what we need to do in our lives...have enough trust to sit in our Lord's lap and let Him hold us up during our trials, and to really feel with confidence His overwhelming presence. Well worth the trip I'd say!

Our last stop before we settled into Jerusalem was Masada...where the Jewish zealots lived atop the diamond shaped, God forsaken mountain where Herod had built himself a 'hideaway.' They tried to maintain their position but the Romans eventually broke through their high fortress,..but before they could the zealots killed each other which left no one for the Romans to take back as slaves....when they broke through the walls they were met with only silence and the distant chirping of birds. Rent the movie! It will be worth your time! Some of our people walked the steep trail to the top, taking about an hour, while I rode the tram! We then stopped at En Gedi..an oasis in this stark, rocky, mountainous country, where David hid in the caves from King Saul. It was our first taste of 'American' food (a turkey sandwich) in many days! Yum! A little way up the road was Qumran, where the Dead Sea scrolls were found....just rocky hillside with numerous caves. It truly was a God miracle that these precious pieces of the scripture were retrieved, to prove to the world that God's written Word was real.

Now on to Jerusalem! We will spend the next 5 days there, visiting such places as the Mt. of Olives, walked the Palm Sunday road to the Old City gate Jesus walked through, via Dolorosa, Gethsemane, Temple Mount, Western Wall, Pool of Siloam, the grave, the stone, Golgotha, the Southern steps where Jesus turned over the tables in disgust, the pool of Bethesda where the lame man was healed, excavations, stones from the first and second temples, on and on and on... I wish I could share it all with you, but I can't...you must make the journey on your own. It will change your life!

I must relate my most precious times however. Singing in chapels that rang our voices out as if we were a thousand angels, praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, sitting quietly in the garden spot where Jesus was placed...it was so quiet, birds chirping, blue skies, a kiss of a breeze, a place to truly meditate and give praise for what He did for us. The day we drove down the hill to the Sea of Galilee seemed to touch my heart...I began to cry...I looked over at Bev and she was crying....in a busload of 46 people, only her and I were feeling this emotion....the Holy Spirit was speaking...my heart was responding. That's what Israel does to you....it's ancient walls, it's voice of history, it's people....God has blessed a nation with His handprint. I pray that some day you all will experience that 'walk about zion, counting her towers, considering her ramparts'....you will be blessed as I was.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I feel like I have to re-read this several times to take it all in! I'm so glad you had this experience, and I can only imagine the things that will continue to come alive to you in fresh ways after having seen these sights with your eyes. Amazing, and thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leanne! I wish others would put comments on my blogs....I never know if they are read or not or if they were of any consequence to anyone. Appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Mom, it's truly a once in a lifetime event. You are so lucky to have experienced this trip and walked where Jesus walked. So glad you made it home safe ! Jon

    ReplyDelete