Friday, June 22, 2012

I Wonder Why....

I'm a widow. I loved my husband and grieved what seemed like forever at my loss, but I was not the only one with a broken heart. Watching the pain in the eyes of my children and grandchildren, stirred such sorrow deep within, that at times I felt I could no longer go on. Why was I the one left behind when it was he who brought such love and joy to their lives? How could I ever live up to the myriads of memories that swept over them when we would speak his name, talk about something he did or viewed photos from the past? The sighs, the tears, the "I wishes" that were spoken as they placed him on the pedestal that he so deserved. Do memories make hero's? Like any other father, Dennis made his mistakes, ...both through actions and omissions, but because of his tremendous love, they were all but forgotten, as well they should be. Again I wonder...why was I the one left behind?
A mother and grandmother have their places in the hearts of their children and grandchildren, but a father and grandpa not only fill their hearts, but they are overflowing with so much more than what can be spoken or shown. Oh yes, I was available to just 'be' there when needed, the usual babysitting, diaper changing, mending, lending an ear or giving advice when needed, (not always received!), but when a dad or grandpa does or speaks, well, that becomes a whole different connotation. He was a quiet man, but when he spoke people listened and that meant his children and grands also. It was a gift that even he didn't realize he had. They say opposites attract? Oh yes! You need only look at our lives and see that! We each had a special place in our kids and grands hearts, but the love of a grandpa who was a mentor, fixer, advisor, and a giver of joy far outweighed anything I could give. And that was perfectly ok by me! To sit back and watch how he affected their lives gave me such pride. Yes, I still ponder in my heart why him instead of me.
Why all of a sudden must I write about such things? I think with the graduation of our first granddaughter, the emotions came back to the surface. Dennis' heart and soul came to surface when she was born and with each new grandchild it only became more apparent. I sat in that auditorium and when Pomp and Circumstance began to play as the class filed in, my heart cried with the absence of him who loved her so fully and would have been so overwhelmed and proud. I cried for Hannah's loss, but also with happiness that she had him for some of the most wonderful years of her life.
Oh yes, I wish he were still here filling in those precious years for his children and grands, but he isn't. I pray they remember him forever with love and gratitude. I know they will, as I witness the wonderful loving words they write of him on Father's Day and other moments when the heart overflows with memories. I only hope I can add some joy and love to their lives even if it cannot be as it were with him. Sometimes I just want to apologize for not being the first to leave, and yes, I do wonder why......

No comments:

Post a Comment