Monday, November 2, 2009

Grandchild Illness

I don't remember being so concerned about my own children when they got sick as I do with my grands! What is that about?? It's a different world out there for sure...this H1N1 thing has got me freaked, especially with the littlest ones! I wonder why it doesn't strike old heifers like myself instead of these innocent ones.

I was called to watch Finn today while Cami took Luke and Hannah for checkups on other related problems. Poor little guy had been sleeping a good deal of the day and had just awakened when I arrived. Whenever he see's me he immediately knows 'oh darn, mom's gonna leave and I'm stuck with this old grandma!' Therefore, he took one look at me and burst out bawling! Ah, yes, one must have a thick skin to endure that! Well, on a brighter note, I think he's just got a virus of some sort because later he was parading around with his firetruck and harassing Piper, the family dog, by trying to pull her tail and then saying 'nice puppy'...like Piper believed that line!

Anyhow, back to my original remark regarding my sick kids! I wonder what they remember about their times of illness. I sorta remember making them comfortable, cleaning up vomit, demanding they stay put, delivering fluids or trying to force down a little chicken soup (hey, my mom said it was good for anything that ailed you!). A touch on the forehead was all it took to determine if there was a fever, either at the beginning or the end of said illness. Touch, feel, yup, nope, seems my hand on the head was the best thermometer ever! And you can betcha at the first sign of wellness, it was out the door and back to school for those little slackers! Couldn't pull a fast one on ol' mom! Have to give a high five to my mom for teaching me those tricks of the trade! Grandkids on the other hand...well have a heart mom's...keep those little buggers home and shower them with TLC and a few special treats to boot! It gives you and the munchkins a little down time and who doesn't need that these days!

1 comment:

  1. Well, thanks for inviting me here Claudia. I am enjoying experiencing your writing talents.

    ReplyDelete